Mater Dei High School first opened in September 1950 with 111
students. During that first year, a statue of Mary, Mater Dei was presented to the school by the Young Ladies Institute. It was placed in the school's main courtyard, the Grotto, where it
remains today. The first principal was Joseph L. Eyraud, who supervised a faculty of seven, including the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The first graduating class chose the lion as the mascot, and it was decided that the school teams should be called the Monarchs and wear red and gray. In 1998, under the direction of Principal Patrick Murphy and Rector Steve Sallot, the architectural firm of PJHM/MKA began a long process of
designing a new master plan for entire campus.
Special price for Mater-Dei High School's faculty and students.